Sunday, April 3, 2011

ENG 102 and Blog Assignment #3:'Author's note on Essay #1

  I chose the two texts “Everyday Use” by Alice Walker and “The Appointment in Samarra” by W. Somerset Maugham because of the morals they both send.  My ideas about finding 'morals' in short stories have changed by writing this essay because it clarified the difference between short stories and fables.  Fables focus on fate and destiny while short stories focus on an event during a certain time.  Fables are creative and thoughtful ways to teach a moral to the reader.  Short stories are more realistic in their plot and character choice.  The reader can relate more to these stories and put himself in the position of the characters.  Before reading these stories, I have always thought that these stories would be boring and I would have not understood the texts. After taking ENG 102 and reading these texts, I have started to read more carefully or differently or closely than I did before, so it helped me to understand stories and write better. Overall ,essay # 1 challenged me the way I read  and I know that   I have to push myself to get to my goals and this class is one of the step that helps me to  achieve my dreams.  

No comments:

Post a Comment