Thursday, May 19, 2011

ENG 102-Blog Assignment #7


For my post, I have chosen this clip from You Tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKufOtErDmQ. The title of this clip is Shakespeare's The Tempest (1980 TV) - end of play. This clip was acted by live performers on a stage. It was created in 1980 for television audience. I think that this play is more realistic then the version in Manga Shakespeare version because plot, setting and characters are more sensible. This clip is the end of Shakespeare's The Tempest.  Prospero is the main character in this play. I think this play reveals more psychological realism the way characters talks and their costumes then in Manga version because you can see more emotion and personality in the play. Shakespeare’s words are mostly same in both play and Manga, but it is a little bit different on page 203 in Manga. I discovered more human feelings that I perhaps didn’t see in the printed Manga Shakespeare version. Both the play and Manga almost have the same story and the dialogue but of course there are some differences: Ariel is a man in the play but he is a spirit in Manga, Caliban looks stronger and muscular in Manga but not in the play, Alonso looks pride and very confident in the play although he looks very sad and helpless on page 203 in Manga and last Prospero holds Ariel’s hand before says good-bye to him in Manga. As a result, I think the clip is easier to understand for me because I can see characters’ feelings and emotions then in Manga and I like the clip more then Manga Shakespeare version.

No comments:

Post a Comment